Product code: 210-0052 Capitainer®B Vanadate, 50 pcs box
A better sampling standard for PEth testing
patent pending PCT/EP2021/068386
Capitainer®B Vanadate is based on the technology of Capitainer®qDBS. In addition, it incorporates our proprietary technology for integrating the phospholipase D (PLD) inhibitor sodium metavanadate (NaVO3) in the DBS paper disc.
- Enables accurate analysis of Phosphatidylethanol (PEth)
- Eliminates the risk of post sampling PEth formation
- Shipping and storage of the sample in ambient temperature
- Volumetric, solves the problem with traditional DBS
- Enables easier sampling via finger blood
Capitainer®B Vanadate is the only volumetric microsampling device scientifically shown to enable accurate PEth measurement without risk of post sampling formation .
About phosphatidylethanol (PEth)
PEth is found in red blood cells and is an abnormal phospholipid that is formed in the presence of ethanol. It is formed via a transphosphatidylation reaction of phospholipase D (PLD). PEth accumulates with frequent alcohol consumption with a half-life of approximately 4 days and is therefore a marker for long term alcohol use.
In blood that contains ethanol at sampling, PEth may continue to form after sampling  leading to falsely elevated concentrations. A well-known problem in venous blood samples were storage temperature and shipping conditions need to be controlled to limitit In Vitro formation. Formation of PEth can be stopped through inhibiting the PLD activity. Sodium metavanadate (NaVO3) is an effective PLD inhibitor.
We recommend reading the full publication of Beck et al.  for more details regarding the advantages with Capitainer®B Vanadate in PEth analysis.
- Beck, O., Mellring, M., Löwbeer, C. et al. Measurement of the alcohol biomarker phosphatidylethanol (PEth) in dried blood spots and venous blood—importance of inhibition of post-sampling formation from ethanol. Anal Bioanal Chem 413, 5601–5606 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-021-03211-z
- Schröck A, Henzi A, Bütikofer P, König S, Weinmann W. Determination of the formation rate of phosphatidylethanol by phospholipase D (PLD) in blood and test of two selective PLD inhibitors. Alcohol. 2018 Dec;73:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.alcohol.2018.03.003
Dimensions: 78 x 43 x 3 mm
Sample volume: 2 x 10 µl
DBS paper: Ahlstrom grade 222
>80% of the device is paper based
<1,2 grams of plastics per device
Better than 0.5 μl as one Standard
Deviation (SD), (CV <5%)
Rate of over- or under-sampling
(with a deviation >3 SD) <0.1%
Temperature range: +15°C to +35°C
Relative humidity range: 15% to 90%
Hematocrit value: 25% to 55%
The card must be used within 30 minutes from opening the package.
Collected Capitainer B Vanadate samples can be stored at room temperature.
The stability of individual analytes in DBS samples should be validated by the responsible laboratory. In general, stability increases with lower temperature and lower humidity. Capitainer B Vanadate discs can be stored in the freezer to extend stability. Please refer to the extensive literature for traditional DBS samples as guidance for individual analytes.
Dispose according to local regulations. Take care with blood stained materials and sharps.
Capitainer B Vanadate is CE-marked, registered as an IVD product according to the 98/97EC In vitro Diagnostic Medical Device Directive.
Solna Torg 19
SE-171 45 Solna